Stats:
Weight: 12 lbs. 7 oz., 15th percentile. At his 2 month check-up, he had dropped to the 17th percentile (from being in like the 95th at birth). The doctor suggested I changed up the way I was nursing, and to come back in 2 weeks for a weight check. When that happened, he had only gained 4 ounces (for reference, he should be gaining roughly 1 oz. per day, or ½ pound per week) and gone down to the 5th percentile. We met with a lactation consultant and figured out that while there weren’t any physical barriers (such as tongue tie) and despite the fact that he has a good latch, he just doesn’t have the best suck pattern while nursing and he’s also very lazy. I was given some ways to try to improve on that, but the doctor recommended exclusive pumping for a week to see how that impacted his weight. When I brought him back a week later, he had already gone up to 12 lbs. 2.5 oz.(almost a pound gained in a week). We’re now trying to find a happy-medium between nursing and pumping. We bought a baby scale and we are closely monitoring his weight gain. I really don’t like pumping and it’s difficult to do with 2 kids, but it’s more important that he gains weight right now.
Weight: 12 lbs. 7 oz., 15th percentile. At his 2 month check-up, he had dropped to the 17th percentile (from being in like the 95th at birth). The doctor suggested I changed up the way I was nursing, and to come back in 2 weeks for a weight check. When that happened, he had only gained 4 ounces (for reference, he should be gaining roughly 1 oz. per day, or ½ pound per week) and gone down to the 5th percentile. We met with a lactation consultant and figured out that while there weren’t any physical barriers (such as tongue tie) and despite the fact that he has a good latch, he just doesn’t have the best suck pattern while nursing and he’s also very lazy. I was given some ways to try to improve on that, but the doctor recommended exclusive pumping for a week to see how that impacted his weight. When I brought him back a week later, he had already gone up to 12 lbs. 2.5 oz.(almost a pound gained in a week). We’re now trying to find a happy-medium between nursing and pumping. We bought a baby scale and we are closely monitoring his weight gain. I really don’t like pumping and it’s difficult to do with 2 kids, but it’s more important that he gains weight right now.
Height: as of a week ago, he
was 24 inches long, 55th percentile
Size: Size 3-6 month or 6
month clothes and size 2 diapers.
Appearance: Nate looks much
more like a baby now and less like a newborn. His eyes are a very pretty shade
of blue and I think they’re going to stay that way. His hair has filled in
quite a bit, and his legs and arms are starting to get rolls. He looks a lot
like Jason.
Food:
He is exclusively on breast
milk, a combination of nursing and pumping. At the moment, he gets a bottle 4
times per day (morning, evening, night, and middle of the night) and I nurse
him for the 3 middle of the day feedings. When he takes a bottle, he drinks 5-6
ounces. He’s still eating about every 3 hours during the day and 5-6 at night.
Sleep:
Sleep has been pretty
consistent this month. He goes to bed around 11 pm and sleeps until anywhere
from 3-5 am. After that feeding, he goes back to sleep until 7 or 8, eats
again, and then goes back to sleep. His longest stretch at night this month was
6.5 hours. During the day, he’s the king of catnaps. He doesn’t really take
long naps unless he’s being held or snuggled, so it usually ends up being about
5 or 6 20-30 minute naps throughout the day. I know this is a habit that we’ll
eventually have to break, but right now I take sleep when I can get it. He is
still sleeping in our room in the pack-n-play at night.
Milestones:
He continues to roll over
belly-to-back pretty consistently. He’s stopped being a fan of tummy time, so
now every time I put him on his belly, he rolls over. He hasn’t rolled anymore
from back to belly.
Nate has exactly 2 moods:
super happy and smiley, and screaming his head off. Thankfully, the former is
much more common. He usually only cries when he’s hungry or wet, but there’s
absolutely no build up from happy to sad.
He’s started putting his hands
in his mouth. He seems to prefer the entire fist in there.
He’s “talking” a lot more
these days. Lots of “ooh” and “ahh” noises, but he also throws in some
consonant sounds like “goo” and “coo”. If we talk to him, he talks back.
He definitely recognizes faces
now. He knows us of course, his grandparents, and even the teachers at Mia’s
school. He loves to smile at everyone!
He always needs to have either
Jason or I within view. If he wakes up or looks around and doesn’t see one of
us, he cries.
He is seriously the cuddliest
baby. He loves to be held and snuggled.
We’ve started putting him in
the bouncer and he really seems to like it. He’s pretty good at bearing weight
on his legs.
When he is awake, his legs and
arms are always on the move!
He is pretty consistently
holding his head up and his neck is really strong.
He’s really good at grasping
things in his hands and bringing them to his mouth.
He giggled for the first time!
I was changing his diaper and talking to him, and he just laughed. Jason was at
work and Mia was at school, so they’ve both been trying hard to get him to
laugh since. He hasn’t laughed again, but he’s gotten really close a few times.
We celebrated Nate’s first
Valentine’s day!
Things I want to remember
about this month:
Still all the smiles! I can’t
get enough of that toothless grin!
He prefers to sleep on his
side and almost always rolls on his side at bedtime.
He pretty much always has a
tiny little mohawk.
The way he looks at Mia. He
loves to watch her play and talk to her.
His favorite things:
Big sister, hanging toys,
having his diaper changed, talking to everyone, eating, putting his hand in his
mouth
How Mia is adjusting:
I will probably take this
section out next month unless something changes because Mia has pretty much
adjusted. We still have rough days, but no more frequently than before Nate was
born. She absolutely adores her brother. She always wants to know where he is,
what he’s doing, etc. She talks to him as if he understands and can converse
with her, which is precious (i.e. “Nate, sissy is home from school! Did you
miss me? I painted a picture!”). Her only complaint about her brother so far is
that he cries.
And now, the pictures!
Tummy time!
Always smiling :-)
Love those big, blue eyes!
First Valentine's day <3





No comments:
Post a Comment