Monday, November 23, 2015

Mia, Month Six



Stats:

Weight:  14 pounds, 2 ounces. She’s in the 13th percentile for weight. According to her doctor this is normal, and she’s following her growth curve nicely. Dr. T (our pediatrician) calls her ‘long and lean’.  I will add that I think she might be slightly heavier than this though (by a few ounces). When the nurse was taking her weight, Mia was squirming so much that it was hard to get a good reading, so she kind of ball parked it.
Height: 27 inches long, 82nd percentile for length
Size: For clothes, she can fit into 6 month shirts, but no longer 6 month pants or onesies. She has to wear 9 months for those things. She’s still in size 2 diapers.
Appearance: Aside from her hair filling in, not too much has changed from last month. Her eyes are still a greenish-blue, and her eyelashes are getting pretty long these days. She hasn’t gotten much taller from last month, but she LOOKS so much taller.

Food:
We made it to 6 months of exclusive breastfeeding! I am really happy that we were able to make it this far J Right now, she’s still nursing about every 2 hours for about 30 minutes each feed.
I will continue to breastfeed in combination with baby food/food until she’s a year old (hopefully!) but I am really excited about not being her sole source of food anymore. While I encourage any woman who’s able to breastfeed for this long, I’m not going to say that it’s ‘easy’ or ‘beautiful’ because for me, that’s simply not true. It’s challenging and messy. You have to plan your entire day around feedings. And yes, the baby’s ‘food source’ is always with you, but breastfeeding in public isn’t the easiest thing to do. Mia hated the cover, and she moves a lot when she feeds. Not to mention, you have to either lug the boppy around everywhere, or chance feeding without a pillow (no easy feat!). I had good days and bad days. I developed milk blisters (yes, that’s exactly what it sounds like) and I’m always leaking. Sometimes she used me as a pacifier instead of a meal ticket. The baby weight didn’t just fall off. I was always hungry because she nurses so frequently for so long. Pumping sucks, plain and simple. But, I will say that all of that was worth it to give her breast milk for that long, and I wouldn’t trade the bonding time we had together for anything!
J
Stayed tuned next month to hear about all of the new baby foods that we’ll try!

Sleep:

Night sleeps are still going very well. She generally goes down about 10 pm and sleeps until around 8 am the next morning in her crib.
We’ve also made some headway in the napping department! This is a fairly new development within the last 2 weeks or so. She now (generally) naps at least once a day for 1-2 hours! There were a couple days where she even took 2 naps. We’re not on a schedule by any means, and there are still days here and there where she doesn’t nap, but it’s definite progress. She still doesn’t nap in her crib and it takes her a while to fall asleep. I even try letting her fall asleep elsewhere and then transferring her to her crib, but she always wakes up when she’s moved. She likes being close to one or both of us while she’s napping. I usually lay down with her until she falls asleep.

While we aren’t on a schedule per say, here’s a typical day for Mia:
Between 7:30 and 8 am- wake up and feed
8:30-10 – playtime
10-10:30/11 – feed
11:30- 1:30pm – nap
1:30-2 – feed
2- 4 – playtime and walk
4-4:30/5 – feed
5-6:30 – tummy time/rolling time/ dinner with mommy and daddy
7 – bath time
7:30-8 – feed
8:30-9:30 – relaxing/TV time
9:30- 10 – story time, last feeding, bed time

Milestones:

Mia is a screaming/squealing machine. She makes a lot of dinosaur noises that are particularly entertaining.
She loves to stand! She can grab our fingers and hold herself up.
She can sit unsupported for a few seconds, but she loves sitting in our laps when she plays with her toys.
She opens her mouth when you move in to give her kisses.
She likes to hide her head in my shoulder sometimes. It’s almost like she’s trying to give me a big hug!
She loves phones! When the screen is off, she’ll hug it to her chest or put it in her mouth (of course). If the screen is on, she loves watching it or ‘talking’ on the phone.
She’s really got down the hand to mouth movement. She can grab her passy or bottle (or really just about anything) and put it right into her mouth without hitting her face.
She loves to chew on her fingers. Any time now we’ll have a tooth I’m sure!
She loves petting Luna! She is constantly reaching for her and looks for her when she gets up in the morning. If she’s in her bouncer and wants to pet her but Luna is too far away, Mia will yell until she comes over!
She is so grabby! She grabs anything and everything she can.
She can sit up in restaurant high chairs and shopping carts.
Each day we get closer to crawling. I can tell how badly she wants to be mobile. For now, she's still rolling all over the place and army crawling.

Things I want to remember about this month:
She loves cups and spoons. While I’m making dinner I usually give her plastic ones to play with.
When she’s sitting on our knees, she likes to lean all the way forward, open her mouth and go ‘ahhh!’ It leads to pretty slobbery knees, but it’s hilarious.
She loves to splash in the bathtub!

She is such a happy baby! Mia loves to smile at everyone J

Smiley girl!

Mia's first Halloween! We didn't go trick-or-treating but she was still the cutest little M&M around!

Hopefully getting the hang of this napping thing!

Sitting up like a big girl in the highchair at Aunt Haley's birthday lunch!


No comments:

Post a Comment