Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Baby #2, Month 5


How far along:
20 weeks, halfway done! This post is for weeks 17-20, or all of month 5

Next doctor’s appointment:
August 7

Signs and symptoms:
No more nausea or vomiting! I am still getting occasional digestive issues, but if I avoid spicy or greasy foods, I’m mostly okay.
The heartburn is pretty bad, particularly on some days.
Lots of movement and wiggling, particularly at night or when I’m sitting still. I’ve also started to notice what I believe to be hiccups. So cute!
With it being so hot, if I go outside for more than about 15 minutes and I’m not in the water, I start feeling like I’m going to pass out. This makes it more difficult to get out and do things with Mia, but I’m trying to incorporate more indoor activities and swimming.
I have been really emotional during this pregnancy, but it seems to have gotten even more severe in the past month. I cry pretty frequently for no reason, and I have to try really hard to not yell when I get frustrated.
The belly is getting pretty sizable now. I can still wear regular shorts and some shirts that aren’t maternity, but I’m a lot more comfortable in maternity tops.
My stomach is definitely shrinking (my actual stomach, not the baby bump!). I get full really quickly, but then I’m generally hungry a lot too. Snacking is my friend at the moment.
Baby is still parking it out on the left side. I will sometimes feel movement on the right, but mostly it’s all on the left side or towards the middle.
It is getting really difficult to find a comfortable position to sleep in. Between changing positions so much and getting up to use the bathroom, I don’t feel like my sleep is particularly restful.

Weight change:
I’m up 2 pounds from my starting weight, so I’ve gained 5 pounds over the course of this month

Food cravings:
I haven’t really had any cravings I can think of. I’m just enjoying being able to eat!

Aversions:
There are some smells that I have to be careful to avoid. When I’m cooking with any type of oil, I have to light a candle or something in the kitchen or the smell starts to really bother me.
Still have no desire to eat pancakes.  

What is going on with the baby:
The baby is approximately the size of a banana! This would mean he should be about 7 inches long and weighs about 9-10 ounces. However, at the ultrasound we had this week, the sonographer told us that he weighed in at about 13-14 ounces. Supposedly, he’s in the 91st percentile for size on just about everything, putting him about a week and a half ahead on size according to their estimates. From the get go this little guy has felt not so little to me! The vernix caseosa (waxy coating) is thickening and forming into two layers (the epidermis and the dermis). The bones are continuing to harden and get stronger. He’s swallowing more now (which may explain the hiccups) and is producing more meconium. We even saw what I believe to be some practice breathing on the ultrasound.

What I miss:
Not being tired/napping
Being able to be outside for more than 15 minutes without feeling like I’m going to pass out.
Sleeping comfortably at night.

What I’m looking forward to:
Meeting this little guy!
No more heartburn!
Going an entire night without waking up to pee

Changes:
We found out at the anatomy scan that we’re having a little boy! I am really very excited about this! I would have been overjoyed either way, but I like the idea of having one of each. Mia also seems very excited to have a little brother. I have no doubt she’ll keep him in line.
The amount of movement I’ve been able to feel has increased quite a bit from last month.
Other than those few things and my growing belly, I don’t really feel like much else has changed this month.




No comments:

Post a Comment