We are so excited to be expecting baby Michael #2! In
typical second child fashion, I have not been doing weekly updates, but I’ll do
my best to provide at least monthly updates from now on. I will try to follow a
similar format to my posts for my pregnancy with Mia. For now, here’s an update
on my first trimester (the first 12 weeks) with baby #2!
How far along:
I’m now 12 weeks, but this post is for the whole first trimester
I’m now 12 weeks, but this post is for the whole first trimester
Due date:
November 27
November 27
Next doctor’s appointment:
June 13
June 13
Signs and symptoms:
This pregnancy has been fairly different than my pregnancy with Mia was. My nausea started around 6 weeks, and I started throwing up around 7 weeks. With Mia, I was nauseous and throwing up pretty much as soon as we got a positive pregnancy test (no joke). This time around, the nausea has been worse, but the vomiting hasn’t been nearly as severe (2-3 times a day at most, while I think my record with Mia was 10 times in one day). My symptoms are worse in the late afternoon/evening. I usually feel mostly okay in the mornings.
I have also been a lot more tired this pregnancy. I blame this on having a toddler :-) Weeks 8-11 were probably the worst for me symptom wise. In this last week I’ve started to feel a little better. I have had a little bit more energy, and I haven’t thrown up in a few days. The nausea remains, but it isn’t as severe as it was in the beginning.
I’m starting to get pretty uncomfortable at night when I’m trying to get to sleep. I sleep okay once I’m actually comfortable, but that does take a while.
I haven’t really noticed a particularly strong sense of smell this time around, while last time I did.
I’ve had some breast tenderness, but it tends to be cyclic throughout the day instead of all the time.
This pregnancy has been fairly different than my pregnancy with Mia was. My nausea started around 6 weeks, and I started throwing up around 7 weeks. With Mia, I was nauseous and throwing up pretty much as soon as we got a positive pregnancy test (no joke). This time around, the nausea has been worse, but the vomiting hasn’t been nearly as severe (2-3 times a day at most, while I think my record with Mia was 10 times in one day). My symptoms are worse in the late afternoon/evening. I usually feel mostly okay in the mornings.
I have also been a lot more tired this pregnancy. I blame this on having a toddler :-) Weeks 8-11 were probably the worst for me symptom wise. In this last week I’ve started to feel a little better. I have had a little bit more energy, and I haven’t thrown up in a few days. The nausea remains, but it isn’t as severe as it was in the beginning.
I’m starting to get pretty uncomfortable at night when I’m trying to get to sleep. I sleep okay once I’m actually comfortable, but that does take a while.
I haven’t really noticed a particularly strong sense of smell this time around, while last time I did.
I’ve had some breast tenderness, but it tends to be cyclic throughout the day instead of all the time.
I have been insanely thirsty. This one is rather tricky though, if I drink too fast it makes me need to throw up. I have to make sure I drink enough, but also slowly enough.
I have been pretty emotional lately. I cry a lot when I think about how fast Mia is growing, how much she’s changed in three years, how she’s going to feel about having a brother or sister, etc.
I don’t really think I’m looking pregnant yet, and I haven’t had a need for maternity clothes yet.
I have been pretty emotional lately. I cry a lot when I think about how fast Mia is growing, how much she’s changed in three years, how she’s going to feel about having a brother or sister, etc.
I don’t really think I’m looking pregnant yet, and I haven’t had a need for maternity clothes yet.
Weight change:
I lost 7 pounds over the course of this trimester. I weighed myself at 5 weeks, so I’m using that as a baseline. I was actually looking back at my posts for my pregnancy with Mia, and at 12 weeks with her I was at the exact same weight change!
I lost 7 pounds over the course of this trimester. I weighed myself at 5 weeks, so I’m using that as a baseline. I was actually looking back at my posts for my pregnancy with Mia, and at 12 weeks with her I was at the exact same weight change!
Food cravings:
So far, I’ve only had one craving on a single day, and that was a burrito bowl from Chipotle.
So far, I’ve only had one craving on a single day, and that was a burrito bowl from Chipotle.
Aversions:
Brushing my teeth has been difficult. It tends to set off my gag reflex.
Cooking raw meat.
Sweets :-(
I wouldn’t say it’s exactly an aversion, but I’ve had to cut back on dairy. It tends to make me feel worse. Hopefully this goes away soon!
Brushing my teeth has been difficult. It tends to set off my gag reflex.
Cooking raw meat.
Sweets :-(
I wouldn’t say it’s exactly an aversion, but I’ve had to cut back on dairy. It tends to make me feel worse. Hopefully this goes away soon!
What is going on with the baby:
(At 12 weeks) The baby is the size of a lime this week, about 2 inches long. Reflexes are hard at work developing this week. The nerve cells are multiplying very rapidly and synapses are busy forming in the brain. The baby’s intestines are starting to move back into the abdomen from the umbilical cord and the kidneys have started functioning and excreting urine into the bladder. We actually got a glimpse of the umbilical cord at the latest ultrasound!
(At 12 weeks) The baby is the size of a lime this week, about 2 inches long. Reflexes are hard at work developing this week. The nerve cells are multiplying very rapidly and synapses are busy forming in the brain. The baby’s intestines are starting to move back into the abdomen from the umbilical cord and the kidneys have started functioning and excreting urine into the bladder. We actually got a glimpse of the umbilical cord at the latest ultrasound!
What I miss:
Not having nausea
Being able to nap (Mia no longer naps)
Wanting to do things (go outside, to the store, working out, etc.)
Eating sweets
Not having nausea
Being able to nap (Mia no longer naps)
Wanting to do things (go outside, to the store, working out, etc.)
Eating sweets
What I’m looking forward to:
Making our announcement public!
Feeling better
Being able to go outside or to a store without feeling miserable
Finding out the sex! We found out early with Mia, but this time around we have to wait until 20 weeks
Making our announcement public!
Feeling better
Being able to go outside or to a store without feeling miserable
Finding out the sex! We found out early with Mia, but this time around we have to wait until 20 weeks
Changes:
Because of the number of miscarriages that I’ve had, this pregnancy has been monitored very closely so far. I’ve already had 5 ultrasounds! I also am getting weekly blood draws to monitor my hormone levels, but I am hoping that this will stop in the next few weeks. So far, everything has been looking good and right on track. At the latest appointment, I had my 12 week ultrasound, as well as the first screen done. I’m hopeful for a good report!
I’ll admit I’ve had a lot of anxiety this pregnancy. It gets a little less severe with each passing week, but I can’t help but feel anxious. I just want everything to be okay!
Because of the number of miscarriages that I’ve had, this pregnancy has been monitored very closely so far. I’ve already had 5 ultrasounds! I also am getting weekly blood draws to monitor my hormone levels, but I am hoping that this will stop in the next few weeks. So far, everything has been looking good and right on track. At the latest appointment, I had my 12 week ultrasound, as well as the first screen done. I’m hopeful for a good report!
I’ll admit I’ve had a lot of anxiety this pregnancy. It gets a little less severe with each passing week, but I can’t help but feel anxious. I just want everything to be okay!


No comments:
Post a Comment