Sunday, December 7, 2014

Pregnancy Journal, Week 11

How far along:
11 weeks
Next doctor’s appointment:
November 25, though I had an unexpected one on November 14 (more about that below)
Signs and symptoms:
Well, I’ve lost my battle with having a medication-free pregnancy. At the end of last week/beginning of this one, I started throwing up a lot more. After 2 days of being unable to keep anything down and spending most of my time on the bathroom floor, I called my doctor for advice. Her advice? Go to the ER because I needed IV fluids. So, I spent several hours in the ER getting rehydrated with 2 liters of fluids. I suppose it is good I went, because my blood pressure was also low.
At the ER, they gave me an injection of Zofran. I was so thankful at the time because I was ridiculously thirsty and all I really wanted was water. When I left, I was given 10 more pills of Zofran and reassured (by the ER doc as well as mine) that Zofran was safe. I have since also gotten a refill from my doctor. I did get to hear the baby’s heartbeat at the follow up with my doctor and it’s still pumping strong, so I felt a little less stressed after that.
As much as I don’t like taking the Zofran, I’m thankful for it.  Hyperemesis is a dangerous condition for pregnant women, and keeping myself as healthy as possible will keep the baby healthy. I still throw up some, maybe once or twice a day, but it’s nothing compared to what it was, and I’m able to keep most of my food down. I just keep hoping that this condition goes away and doesn’t last the entire pregnancy. I’d like to take the Zofran for as short of a time as possible, but for now, I need it to eat. I can always tell when it’s starting to wear off.
Everything else is still the same. I’m still nauseous and tired all the time.
Weight gain:
I lost another pound, down 8 total. I really hope that now that I can eat more, my weight starts going up. 
Food cravings:
The only thing I really found myself wanting this week was cranberry juice. Unless you count me wanting water at the ER that is…
Aversions:
Brushing my teeth still really sets me off. In fact, usually the only time(s) during the day that I throw up or get close to are when I brush my teeth. I guess I’m also going to have to switch out the hand sanitizer that’s in my purse because right now I can’t stand the smell of it.
What’s going on with the baby:
The baby is the size of a fig and is almost fully formed! The blood vessels in the placenta are increasing in size and volume to provide the rapidly growing little one with more nutrients. While the eyes are still fused shut, the irises are developing. The pancreas, thyroid and gall bladder are almost completely formed. The hands will soon be able to open and close and some of the bones are also starting to harden. Baby is moving a lot more now (still haven’t felt anything though!) and may have even started hiccupping.
What I miss:
Not being sick and wanting to eat sweet foods. I hope that aversion goes away by Christmas! I also miss being able to cook dinner without feeling sick.
What I’m looking forward to:
Seeing the baby again and not sleeping (or wanting to) all the time. At our next appointment, Jason will get to hear the heart for the first time, so I’m pretty stoked to share that with him. Also, the holidays are coming up! My favorite time of the year! Let’s hope the baby is cooperative on Thanksgiving
J
Changes:
I feel like I’m showing more and I can definitely tell that my boobs are bigger (sorry if that’s TMI). I’m still in normal clothes, but I feel like in the next few weeks I might have to invest in some maternity clothes (including a larger bra).
Since I was out of work sick for an entire week, I had to bring my bosses’ boss in on the pregnancy secret. I didn’t really want to, but hey, it’s life.


1 comment:

  1. Oh no! I'm sorry your nausea got so bad, but glad you found a little relief with zofran

    ReplyDelete